Sleeping could be considered the most important time of your child’s development. Thus, I understand why a lot of young moms get into a panic when they see their babies sleep in an unusual position that is not mentioned in guidebooks.
The most common question that I have received is ‘Are there any problems when my baby curls his knees and makes his butts in the air while sleeping?’. Most of them think that their children cannot breathe in that weird position.
To figure it out, today’s article will give you simple reasons why babies sleep with their butts in the air with a few tips on how to help your baby have a safe sleep.
Simple Reasons Why Do Babies Sleep With Their Butts In The Air
1. It is Convenient and Comfortable
It is true that adults sometimes curl up and sleep facedown to feel more comfortable and so do babies. Once they can roll over, you will see that your kid tries to sleep with his butts in the air every night.
2. Copy the Fetal Position
Keep in mind that he had been in the fetal position for over 9 months, so your baby is very familiar with it. Even when you try to lay him on his back or side sleeping or others, sometimes, he will roll over and curl up to copy the fetal position.
3. Beneficial to Those Who Have a Special Disease
In fact, one of the reasons why babies sleep with their butts in the air is due to some medical conditions. This position is considered to be beneficial for those who suffer from a disease, for example, gastroesophageal reflux.
In this case, parents might be advised to let their babies fall asleep in that weird position doctors depending on the severity of it.
4. To Have a Deeper Sleep
I know that thousands of books and articles out there recommend you to lay your infant down on his back for high-quality sleep. I agree that sleeping well plays a key role in his development, but that position could not be applied to all.
To be honest, a large number of moms say that their children cannot sleep deeply if they do it on the back or try side sleeping. Surprisingly, these babies prefer curling like a ball and having their buttocks up.
5. It is a Way to Warm Up
People often say that newborn babies are so new to this world, so they need our care and protection twenty-four seven. Well, you may be surprised once you know the real reason why babies sleep with their butts in the air.
I would call it a basic instinct because these infants change their bodies into this position to warm up their toes when they get cold a bit without a blanket.
Tips on How to Have a Safe Sleep
After knowing why do babies sleep with their butts in the air, you can see that there is no need to worry too much about this position, right?
However, to have a good sleep, especially to prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, you will need to take some handy tips into consideration apart from his sleeping position. First, let’s have a look at an example of a safe sleep through the following video.
After watching that video, have you reached some conclusions yet? Don’t worry! Here are tips on how to help your baby have a safe sleep
- Never cover his head. I know you want to keep him warm, but just cover the blanket up to his chest and do not go beyond. It is easy to understand that suffocation can happen if his head is covered
- Create a good environment. Remember to provide him with a cool and dark space that can help him fall asleep more easily. As an adult, we will hardly sleep if our room is flooded with sunlight
- A firm mattress is the best. There are kinds of pillows, water beds, and bumper pads for infants, but doctors have stated that a firm mattress is fully supportive to his sleep as it does not cover his head even when he changes sleeping positions
- Avoid bed-sharing. The reason behind this advice is to minimize the risk of having SIDS. Never share his bed with other infants or even parents, particularly when somebody is a smoker or drinker
These are 5 main reasons why babies sleep with their butts in the air with 4 sleeping advice. If you have any questions, leave a comment below. Last, do not forget to like and share this post with your friends.