How To Choose The Best Crib Mattress On The Market
As you know, newborn baby spends almost of their time on sleeping per day- around 16 hours, so the comfort and safety are always the priority of parents. With a high-quality crib mattress, it will help your little one sleep soundly during the night as well as develop both physically and mentally.
There are so many brands and products on the market nowadays, so how you can choose the best one because you don’t know if the product is reliable or not.
For this reason, I have done the research for you and have put together some of the popular baby crib mattress reviews that will make your work easier when choosing a suitable baby mattress. Once you’ve read my honest best crib mattress reviews, there won’t be any more room for indecision.
Last update on 2018-07-14 PST - Details
What To Look For In A Crib Mattress
If you’re looking for a crib mattress, you won’t have to worry about a huge checklist of must haves. Here are some key topics that you really need to worry yourself with.
#1: A Firm Mattress
The first thing to be mentioned is definitely safety. It is possible that everyone has heard of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and amazingly, the amount of children suffering from this disease has decreased gradually over the past 10 years. This is probably because of a growing awareness of the dangerous syndrome.
To solve this problem effectively, a firm mattress that has a tight bedding is seen as a good solution because it helps your baby avoid being short of breathe while sleeping.
#2: Spring vs. Foam
Highly recommended for children at a very young age, Foam and Spring-type mattresses are quite popular and have the same price. Notably, requirements of standard mattress imposed by the Consumer Product Safety Commission are what both retailers and crib mattresses have to fulfill with a view to protecting your infant.
Spring Mattresses are heavier compared to Foam Mattress but is more durable in the middle of the bedding
Foam Mattresses with a light weight are commonly used and can be replaced, cleaned and moved easily.
#3: Crib Safety Standards
Any mattress meeting standards set out by both the Greenguard and CentiPUR deserves to be chosen. For parents, protecting your baby from noxious chemicals found in some products is of great concern. So, the best crib mattress for baby is what we are looking for.
If you have an intention of giving birth to two babies or more, a good quality crib mattress is really a wise choice because you can use it for a very long time. In spite of saving you some money, cheaper mattresses suffer from a shortage of traits such as border rods, an important part helping protect the edge from sagging.
Moreover, mattresses made of low-priced materials such as thin vinyl covers will be quickly damaged just in a short time. Therefore, we believe that spending more $50 – 100 to have a better mattress is a thing worth doing.
#5: Natural Materials
The mattress originated from the nature or organic materials are becoming popular, parents love it. In their opinion, other common products may contain noxious chemicals damaging their children’s health, so natural mattress is still their choice regardless of its high cost.
However, there haven’t been negative impacts of standard mattresses on health recorded so far. One thing parents should notice is supposedly natural mattresses whether they are really safe or not.
#6: The Right Size
It is really necessary to ensure that standard crib mattresses will match with cribs when you buy them. In addition, the mattress needs to be neatly suited to the frame.
#7: Risk of Mold
As you well know, the environment with a high level of humidity will create favorable conditions for mold to develop strongly. So, the inner surface of mattress is considered an ideal place for this. For this reason, production companies of crib mattresses develop their products with waterproof cover made of polyethylene or vinyl. To protect your baby from avoidable damages, don’t hesitate to replace with a waterproof-cover mattress.
Last update on 2018-07-14 PST - Details
5 best crib mattress reviews
1. Colgate Eco Classica III Dual firmness Eco-Friendlier Crib mattress, Organic Cotton Cover
The first name I want to mention is Colgate Classica III. Many people probably mistake it with the toothpaste company but do not feel embarrassed just because of its name.
This product is designed with two easily recognized sides and its cover is made of waterproof materials, helping clean more effectively. One of the two sides is stronger in order for you to use it even when your baby gets older a little. Bonus! The mattress is a waterproof one so you can easily clean it too.
While the inside of the mattress is made from foam of plants, the material to produce its cover is certified organic cotton with the content of 100%. Thanks to its outstanding features such as being comfortable, safe, eco-friendly and lightweight, it is difficult to find another product like that. I love it and I think it is the safest crib mattress available on the market now.
- The mattress is lighter than expected.
- It does not create any unpleasant smell.
- The cover of this mattress is made of organic materials.
- It has been certified by GREENGUARD Children & Schools.
- This product is suited to both toddlers and infants because of its firmness and comfort.
- It has a waterproof cover made of certified organic cotton that is safe for infants’ skin.
- You might have difficulty wiping out the mattress
- Some people may feel disappointed when seeing its corner shape.
2. Simmons Kids Beautyrest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Ultra Deluxe 2 n 1 Crib and Toddler Mattress, Neutral
In my opinion, this product can be listed as one of the top priorities for baby crib mattress. Not only does it earn the gold certification of Greenguard, it is also certificated by CertiPUR-US.
Moreover, this mattress include two sides and is designed with 231 pocketed coils, innofoam corner protectors and air holes for breathing easily. This product less likely cause an allergic response and is equipped with an additional comfort layer on one side.
It is certain that no one wants a wet mattress all the time, particularly for baby. So, this product is equipped with a waterproof cover to prevent moisture from penetrating into the mattress.
Furthermore, thanks to this trait, you also do not have to worry about cleaning it because this product is covered by stain-resistant materials, too. Therefore, it is always kept in best conditions to protect your baby from harmful bacteria.
Strong support for both sides is a clear evidence showing that the rate of SIDS decreases significantly. With the help of support layers, my son can feel comfortable whenever using it. In general, with its top-class traits, this product is worth being in your home.
- No harmful chemicals.
- It is composed of nonflammable substance, so you don’t have to worry about fire incidents with your children.
- Featured 231 Beautyrest pocketed coil, this product helps babies feel extremely comfortable while sleeping.
- Favored by its high quality
- It is water-resistant.
- There are difficulties in replacing the sheets in some cases.
- Its edges may be torn because loose stiches sometimes are not sewn carefully.
- It is pretty heavy.
3. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Firmness Crib Mattress (FFP)
Featured by two firm foam sides, the mattress produced by the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer is a product exclusively for both toddler and infants.
Amazingly, the Moonlight Slumber has made a major breakthrough in producing the mattresses which contain no phthalates, PVC, polyethylene and vinyl.
One of the advantages is its light weight because it is made with foam which also helps change sheets easily. Besides, this product contains no noxious materials and fire-retardant chemicals. For this reason, the foam has earned the certification of the CentiPUR.
With enthusiastic and friendly staff, Moonlight Slumber is highly appreciated for its customer service. So, if you have any problem, feel free to contact the company.
- No toxic material.
- Cover is designed with two firm sides.
- It is less expensive but still attractive because of its good design.
- It is proved safe for baby by some leading organizations in this field.
- Although most of customers are satisfied with this product, some complained that the mattress did not math with the crib.
- In some cases, the cover is reported to be so strong, making babies uncomfortable.
4. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Infant/Toddler Crib Mattress - Hypoallergenic Soy Foam, Extra Firm, Durable Waterproof Cover, Lightweight, Air Quality Certified Foam, 52"x28"
This mattress is probably a good choice for people who want to save money but still get a good quality one.
Made with soybean oils that are originated from the US, this Sealy is seen as a good product with reasonable price you are looking for.
Covered by water-resistant materials, this mattress will create a safe and clean environment protecting your children from potential risks.
In addition, many customers also highly recommend this crib mattress because of its durability and comfort. This product is composed of safe materials, so its emission of toxic substance is at a low level, creating a healthy environment for your children while sleeping.
Sealy is also certificated by Schools for its indoor air quality.
- Increased durability thanks to soy-included foam core.
- Cover is pearl embossed and made of water-resistant material.
- Foam is certified by the CertiPUR-US for air quality and durability.
- Stay clean and comfortable.
- Foam core only contains less than 30 percent of soybean oil.
- This mattress is not made completely from the nature.
5. My First Premium Memory Foam Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress with Plush Removable Waterproof Cover
It can be seen that memory foam has been becoming more and more popular, so it is easily understandable that it is used to produce crib mattresses. What is surprising, however, is that the mattress is a great contender for best crib mattress.
This product is designed with a flexible cover that is made of velour. Besides, you also can remove its cover easily, so you do not have to worry when using the washing machine.
Furthermore, its cover is resistant to water, which both keeps the mattress dry and stops diaper leaks from penetrating into the inside.
Some people may be worried that this mattress made of some artificial materials such as synthetic foam may have a bad impact on their babies’ health. But actually, in spite of this, the product does not include lead and phthalates. In addition, it also complies with all regulations of prevention of fire accidents set out by the federal agency.
A good news to babies suffering from allergic symptoms is that this mattress is resistant to dust mite and less likely causes an allergic response.
When using this product, you should pay attention to its firmness because it is firmer compared to a mattress with memory foam. An interesting fact you should know is that it may be insecure for an infant to use a mattress with soft memory foam.
- This mattress provides your baby with enough ultra-firm memory foam to ensure that he or she feels comfortable and safe all the time.
- Made of plush, this mattress’s cover also can be removed. This helps cleaning more easily.
- Its cover is resistant to water.
- This product is guaranteed during the period of 10 years
- Easy to change sheets or remove the cover a snap.
- My First Mattress is not recommended for toddlers because of its softer side
- A few parents claim that the mattress feels exceptionally firm
With above detailed and reliable reviews, we expect that you can make a decision of the best crib mattress. In short, no matter what brand you choose or how much you intend to spend, the first priority is definitely your baby’s safety, health and comfort.